Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Terra Cotta Terror

I'm not sure how many plants need to die before I admit I do not have a knack for gardening. I cannot grow something from the very beginning, a seed, but if you have a plant already growing and need help keeping it alive (by simple watering) then I am your gal. I recently decided that I would forgo buying dried ingredients to use for cooking and just grow (maintain) my own. I had seen little herb plants in the grocery store and Home Depot and by God my homemade marinara deserves fresh oregano. But those terra cotta pots are pretty ugly. 






It's easiest to spray these upside down so I flipped them and covered them with primer spray paint. The containers around them are to hold down the paint tarp. It was windy that day.




Only the top rim parts were being painted. I used painters tape to section off where I wanted the paint.



\


Now all top sections are painted. Per usual I used Martha Stewarts All Purpose Craft Paint from Michaels.





Once the paint had dried, I used more painters tape to prep for the chalkboard paint I was about to apply.



Chalkboard paint is becoming pretty popular in the craft world. While I used it in regular bottle form, you can also find it in a spray paint.


The instructions stated that at least two coats were needed. I did three coats on two and four on the other one (the yellow, being light, needed a bit extra).




Each pot received a stencil as well, you know I can never resist.




The chalkboard paint needs 24 hours to dry before it is ready to be used. Once the chalkboard paint was dry, I removed the painters tape and "cured" it by rubbing chalk across it a few times, then erasing.



It's been almost a week and my herb plants are still alive!


Moral of the story, even if you cannot grow a plant to save your life, just buy them already grown and make a decorative pot to put them in to compensate.



~ B

1 comment:

  1. Come ON!!!! Those are the cutest things I've ever seen! almost makes me wish I actually cooked something that needs herbs ;) Are you seeling your wares (is that the right word) at craft fairs?

    ReplyDelete