Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Wine Coasters


I consider myself a pretty sharing person but I if I am outrageously territorial about one thing, besides my husband, it is my wine glass. Although I normally hold on to my glass of wine while socializing, I've been known to get into an animated conversation then forget which glass is mine, especially if I'm pulling hosting duties. Because of this, and because I hate those wine "charms" that clink against my glass, I make fabric wine coasters. These pair well with wine bags for a holiday or housewarming gift.



Needed:
~ Sewing machine
~ 4 different fabric patterns
~ Batting

Note: I use different color/patterns for each coaster because making identical wine coasters defeats the purpose of keeping everyone's paws off my wine glass. I have made completely different colored/patterned coasters as well as coasters that are different but match each other (especially if I'm giving them as a gift with a wine bag).

Step 1: From each fabric cut 4 squares and one batting square, 4 1/2 inches each. *

* I've only had my wine coaster not fit a glass one time and that was because my cousin has ginormous wine glasses. Adjust the size to your needs but 4 1/2 inches seems to be average (for the base of a wine glass).




Step 2: From each of the four fabric squares take two, fold them in half, and iron them flat.


Here is what you should now have for each coaster: Two folded squares, two regular squares, and one batting square.


~ The following is how to layer for each coaster ~


Step 3: Place one fabric square right side facing down.


Step 4: Next place the batting square on top of the fabric square.

Step 5: Now place a fabric square right side up on top of the batting square.


Step 6: Finally, place the two squares that you folded and ironed on top of the whole "sandwich", folded parts touching. I sometimes overlap the folded parts at the fold a smidge for a tighter fit. Spell check just alerted me that "smidge" is not a word but I think everyone knows it's short for smidgen, jeez.


Step 7: Sew all around sandwiched square.

Tips: 1. I tend to double stitch (sew, then sew backwards, then continue sewing forwards) as I go over the folded parts, just to make it more durable. 2. As you get close to the end of one side stop, pick up your presser foot (with needle in fabric keeping it secure) and adjust it so you can sew up the next side.


~ Note: Even if you go slow and keep sides lined up, they can still shift. No need to worry if, at this point, the coaster doesn't look lined up perfectly, you will be turning it inside out and nobody will see it.



Step 8: Take your sewn square and turn it inside out, poking each corner out as much as possible.


Take care when turning fabric inside out, you don't want to pull on any of the stitching too much.

Once pulled inside out give it a press with an iron, it always looks a bit better.


Your finished coaster should look like this:


I usually make four coasters if giving as a gift with a wine bag, more if it's a dinner party and there will be 6 or so people there (6 is my limit, at some point people just need to keep an eye on their glass of wine).



Wine coasters are easy to make, and if the wine somehow misses your mouth (I'm not sure how this can happen but there are amateurs out there), you can toss it in the wash or just make another one with scrap fabric.


Enjoy!



~ B



No comments:

Post a Comment