Monday, December 2, 2013

DIY Oilcloth Placemats

Well, it's been awhile but I'm back with a new post and I plan on posting every day more frequently from now on.

When we got married one of the items I registered for was placemats. Exciting, right? While I love my denim colored placemats, spilled drinks and food meant tossing them in the wash, which lead to shrinkage.

I decided to make my own. I gathered my sewing machine, fabric, iron, and fusible batting. This is not a complicated sewing project. If you know how to thread your sewing machine, you will be able to handle this easily. I found my inspiration on this great blog, A Pretty Cool Life




I cut two pieces of fabric (15 1/2  x 20 1/2 inches) and one piece of fusible batting (also 15 1/2  x  20 1/2).

I ironed the fusible batting to the "wrong" side (the non patterned side) of the fabric.




Once the batting was ironed to the back of the fabric I took the other piece of fabric, placed it on top of the first piece of fabric (right sides facing) and stitched all pieces together. 

* Leave a 5 inch gap on the bottom of one short side to turn out *


Once all three layers were sewn together, I clipped all four corners. 


 Next I pulled the fabric through that 5 inch gap to get the "right sides" of the fabric on the outside (the batting will stay on the inside). 

I ironed the placemat, making sure to fold the pieces of the gap inward.

I then topstitched around the entire placemat (1/4 inch away from edge). I stitched around a second time, 1/4 inch inside that first stitching.


The sewing part of the project was done.


Now on to the stenciling.

I used my usual acrylic paint but this time, because I was painting fabric, I added a fabric medium. This is to prevent any cracking in the paint from bending the fabric. This comes in handy if you are painting clothing or totes. I didn't see myself throwing my placemat around but you never know how aggressive I may become if there is chocolate cake involved.

 

Don't judge, crafting makes me thirsty.



Applied a little stencil adhesive, slapped the first stencil down, and got to work. 




If these stencils look familiar, you may remember them from my Trendy Tray Table Project.


I let the painted placemats dry for about a day or so before my last step.


To avoid having to continuously wash my placemats I decided to give them an Oilcloth finish. I picked some up at Michaels, grabbed a squeegee (a balance free gift card would also work), and got to work.


Following the directions on the back of the oilcloth finish, I put a heaping amount on one edge of my squeegee and covered the entire placemat. 

Note: The finish will pool, a bit, in the stitching. I simply used the corner of my squeegee (I cannot type that word enough), and removed any excess. I applied two coats to each placemat (I made two), waitied two hours, then applied two more coats.

Here is the finished product:



Such an easy project that can be personalized with any stencil or paint color. 


~ B

No comments:

Post a Comment