Thursday, June 13, 2013

Easy DIY Foam Soap

I love foam soap. I was the gal who always went for that pitch at Bath & Bodyworks,  buy 3 get 2 free or whatever their scheme was. But foam soap is primarily water with a little soap thrown in there so there's no reason I can't just make my own. 


I re-used the container of a generic foam soap. There are fancy foam soap containers at Brookstone and those type of places but I can't justify spending the money when I had perfectly good containers already.


I first filled my (7.5 oz) container up with a little less than a cup of water.


Don't fill it all the way, you want to leave room for the other ingredients and let the foaming pump be able to do it's job. Basically a little over 3/4 full.




I used Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap which I found at my local Trader Joe's. I have substituted dish soap before and it came out just as well so no need to run out if you do not have castile soap handy.

I added a heaping tablespoon of soap to the water in the container.



Glycerin is optional, I added 1 teaspoon just for moisturizing purposes. I don't always use it but had some handy.


Vegetable glycerin can be tough to find sometimes. I get mine online at Vita Cost.





Lastly, I added a few drops of my Essential Oil.


I went with peppermint since my castile soap was already that scent but next time will probably use lavender. Lemon or Sweet Orange are other essential oils that would work, especially if the soap is to be located in the kitchen.



Now instead of buying more and more soap when we run out, I just fill my leftover containers with water, a tablespoon of castile or dish soap and I'm done. Simple and frugal.

~ B

No comments:

Post a Comment