Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pillow Palooza!

Recently I did a post on how to make a simple throw pillow using a ladder stitch to close. If you are not a fan of hand stitching, this post is for you.


First I picked my fabric. I usually use a different fabric for the back that matches whatever pattern I'm using for the front.




I then cut a 16 x 16 inch square for the front of my pillow (I'm using the same size pillow insert).


Next I made my back pieces. I cut 2 squares, both 16 x 11 inches. A great blog, Sew Mama Sew, has measurements for the most common pillow sizes/forms.




I folded the top (the wider part of the square) of each back square a quarter inch, ironed, then folded another 1/4 inch to make a hem.












I stitched down each hem.
Here are both back pieces with hems finished.


Now I arranged the pieces. The "front" piece right side up. The first "back" piece right side down, hem on bottom, on top of it. 


I then lay the second "back" piece right side down, hem up top, overlapping the first "back" piece.


Pin all pieces and sew, starting about a 1/3 of the way down one side of the pillow. When I got to a corner I stopped 1/4 inch away, left needle down, lifted the foot and pivoted to sew up the other side. Do not sew all the way to corners.


Once done sewing all the way around (overlapping a bit over the part where I started), I inserted the pillow form.


This is how the back of the pillow looks with the envelope closure. 


Envelope enclosures are great for when you have kids or pets and want to be able to take the pillow cover off to wash it. It also eliminates having to hand sew the pillow opening closed after inserting your pillow form.


~ B







No comments:

Post a Comment